PLATTER OF COURSES AND FACILITIES
Soon after the establishment of Bangalore Central University, as a first step in the reorganization of courses instructions, the University introduced Honours Courses in the year 1965-66. Three year Honours courses in Botany, Chemistry, Economics, English, Geology, Kannada, Mathematics and Zoology which were offered only at the University PostGraduate Departments have attracted many brilliant students. Honours passed students were admitted to Post Graduate Courses on priority and B.A./B.Sc. graduates, who marginally missed admission to the Post Graduate Courses were given an opportunity to join the final year Honours course and seek admission to Post Graduate Courses, thereafter. Since 1964, Bangalore University has grown both in size and strength to include a large number of affiliated colleges, P.G. Centers with a rich diversity of programme options. In consonance with this expansion, in 1973, the University moved into a new campus named ‘Jnana Bharathi’ (JB) located on a sprawling 1100 acres of land and shifted many of its post graduate departments to this newly established campus. At present the JB Campus houses the office of the Vice Chancellor, Registrar, Registrar (Evaluation), Finance Officer and a large number of post graduate departments, Directorates, Centres of higher learning, NSS Bhavan, Outdoor Stadium and other support services. The University Law College, started in 1948 and The College of Physical Education, started in 1959 are located in the JB Campus. Since 1973, the University is functioning from both the campuses the main campus at Jnana Bharathi and the City Campus at Central College.
The University has also established Gandhi Bhavan, Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Study and Research Centre, and Centre for the Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive policy and also has established schools of Biological Sciences, Social Sciences and Business Studies.
The Central College Campus retained as the City Campus, houses the City offices of the Vice Chancellor, Registrar, Registrar (Evaluation), Finance (Examination part), UGC Academic Staff College, Directorate of Correspondence Courses and Distance Education Centre, Directorate of College Development Council, Directorate of Physical Education and a few post graduate departments and support services, with a state of the art Jnana Jyothi Auditorium. Besides, the Central College also has the Central College Cricket Pavilion where the Karnataka State Cricket Association was first established and trained several cricketers of International repute. Apart from this, in the vicinity of the city campus, the University has the prestigious University Visvesvaraya College of Engineering (UVCE) started in 1917.